Sunday, August 1, 2010

Skydiving
















Jake's birthday is today and he decided friday that we should celebrate his birthday by jumping out of an airplane. I of course agreed to join him and yesterday we drove to Toole and made it happen. I thought it would be so much fun that it might become a regular, new hobby for the two of us. No, it won't. Besides the fact that it wasn't cheap, it was also fairly terrifying and surprisingly uncomfortable. The harness was by fair my least favorite part. If I had more comfortable gear or dressed more appropriately I might have felt different, but I don't think so. The most scary part was looking down as we flew up in the plane 13,000 feet. It was actually more frightening to see the small ground than it was when we arrived and could really only see clouds. I didn't look down as I jumped so that was actually less frightening, plus the tandem guy basically pushes you out so you don't really have to jump. And he pulls the cord, so that part isn't a big deal. If I go again, I would get to do that part. The first time all they expect you to do is breath and not pass out. I did that. While I was decending and for hours up until I watched it on video I decided I would definitely never do it again. The video makes it look fun and clouds my memory. The more time that passes since my jump the more I think I would consider going again. In that way it's kind of like having a baby.

3 comments:

Marianne Gappmayer Thayne said...

How did Jake like it?

Lisa said...

When I saw these pictures I thought you guys are so fun and adventurous but seriously it scares me to death. I feel a little nervous just looking at your pictures.

heymaughan said...

You are a million times braver than me. I can't do it, won't do it, and have zero desire. But what a great memory for you!!!