Thursday, October 23, 2008

confessions of a P90X dropout

This program really was well suited for me. There's a part of my personality that is very militant and I do well in situations of structure and discipline. My husband...not so much. He hated waking up early and he hated eating the same meals repeatedly. Having a menu planned out made it easier for me in some ways to shop and cook, but the meals weren't designed around a family of six with four picky little eaters. I usually made something different for the kids; so, making two seperate meals all day, every day was a lot of extra work and I hated when we slept in and then forced ourselves to workout after putting the kids to bed. Our results physically were very impressive, especially for my husband. He made great progress in the first 30 days. But it was taxing on us and it seemed that we were starting to be always on edge and fighting over little things that we normally wouldn't.

After a month and a half we really did have to take a break because Jake got the flu and couldn't stand up, let alone do strenuous excercise. We also quit the diet because it's so much protein and food that, without the excercise to put the nutrients to work, it seemed like over eating. Since we were taking a break, we decided to let ourselves indulge in all the things that we had been missing most. That was last week and we planned to start again on monday (four days ago.) We restarted the diet on monday, but the getting up and excercising didn't happen. After two days of not excercising, I decided to let the diet go again also. I think that we have been happier and less stressed since the break and that makes restarting not so desireable. With me, it's all or nothing. I need to set a restart date and do it 100%. I told Jake we should just wait til Jan 1st, but he says he wants to start right away. Right away is not a date in my thinking. Right now I'm just waiting for him to lead because he is very busy at work. He just called me and I told him the title of this post. He was surprised and said we didn't drop out and that we are starting again on monday; so, I'll be interested to see what happens.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Tami, I have never done a diet/exercise program for more than 2 weeks. Kudos to you guys. It's hard to torture yourself when you already look so good.