Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spirit Week at Lydia's School






This week was spirit week at Lydia's school. The first day was nerd day. I walked around the house looking for mismatched clothing and anything else that looked goofy. It was fun. Then, after I sent her off, I started to worry that maybe she would be the only one in the first grade to dress up. I remember as a kid, having the "what if no one else dresses up?" concern in the back of my mind. She let me dress her, putting her full trust in me. Quickly I came up with the excuse that maybe she needs a jacket and I decided to drive to her school and take a picture of her so that she wouldn't be alone that day. Maybe if I supported her by making a big deal of how much fun it is, it would be fun. I got there and half her school was dressed up including, of course, her teacher. My worry was for nothing.
The next day was rock star day. I had made a trip to the store for a few things for this day and the next, which was pirate day. She loved her rock star stuff and didn't want to wash her hair until the very end of the day even though the paint was burning her scalp. If she decides she wants pink hair when she becomes a teenager, I have no one to blame but myself.
Today, at the end of pirate day she said to me, "I think my friend Lewis' mom loves him more, because he had way cooler outfits." That made me laugh out loud, which she didn't understand.

No comments: