Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I truly am a "beaner"


Is it possible that mexicans are genitically inclined to desire beans in their diet? I believe it is so. Here is my proof. Recently Jake and I were on a diet that we followed so closely we only ate what was listed on the program at the exact times suggested, even the recipes were provided. When we stopped the diet, a month and a half later, we allowed ourselves to indulge in the foods we had been missing. One of the first things I wanted was a bean burrito. I want a bean burrito right now and it's 9am.

My grandmother (the mexican one) served refried beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with homemade tortillas and a side dish she called sopita, which I think means little soup. But it was actually a pasta dish. It was much like mexican rice but it was made with fideo noodles. One meal was only different from the other with the main dish. Beans and tortillas with eggs for breakfast and beans and tortillas with enchiladas, tacos, or tamales for dinner.

For her homemade tamales, beans, and tortillas I think I would drive to Wasco, CA right now. But she has left this world many years ago and taken her recipes with her. This post is making me hungry. I think Christmas is making me want her tamales. For those of you gringos who don't know: tamales and Christmas go together for mexicans. I don't know why because I am only half. I think you have to be a full blood to get access to details such as those. My dad told me a joke about it once, that it was so that mexicans had something to unwrap. He loves mexican jokes, as long as he is the one telling them.

3 comments:

Mother 25 - 8 said...

There is NOTHING better than a homemade tortilla.

Kathleen said...

Tami, there are no Mexicans in my family and we have tamales every Christmas Eve. Not to mention the pickled tongue. We try to be diverse.

heymaughan said...

If your theory is true, I might be part Mexican.