Saturday, November 8, 2008

In Their Own Words

When I first started this blog I decided it was because I don't keep a journal; so, I need to use it to jot down things I want to remember. Like all kids, mine have come up with their own interesting words for things as they've learned to speak and here are just a few.

Lydia: for grandma and granpa she would say maga and paga. All animals were named after the sounds they make (i.e. a cat was a meow and a cow was a moo.) Other than that she was always very articulate. As a matter a fact before I weaned her at a yr old, when she was hungry she would let me know by saying "Nurse?" I knew it was time for the weaning. Although she was always average size, at 2 yrs everyone thought she was incredibly small because she spoke like she was much older. I even remember one person asking me if she was 5. Poor Caleb was more normal but I worried that he was slow because of the comparison.

Caleb: for grandma and grampa he would say damna and ompa. Lydia was "yaya" and yellow was "lello." It took us awhile to discover that he needed tubes in his ears and he wasn't hearing well, because he mispronounced for a long time calling himself taleb and most words starting with "D". He loves corndogs, but he always called them a hot dog with a stick on it. Of course the "st" was replaced with "d" and people always looked at me with a concerned look on their face when he asked for one. He also did a very interesting thing with "R's" that reminded me of scooby-doo: yogurt was rogrit and bananas were branas. The cutest thing (and he still does this) is for hungry and thirsty he says he's eaty and drinky. Today he said, "I want the glass really full because I'm really drinky" and I thought I need to write this down.

Lily: She often shortened things to the last syllable. Lydia was "eeya" and Caleb was "dub." Which is so cute that I often called him dub. She still replaces "L" with "Y" and calls her sisters "yiya and yucy." And if you ask her to say her name she'll say, "I'm not yiyee, my name is pink princess." Lily would replace most all of her consonants with "D." So only I could decode her language. People would just look at her and then to me to translate and I would be surprised that I knew.

Lucy: is 1 yr old in a couple of weeks. She doesn't really say anything yet. She is my first child to speak like Trixie from the story Knuffle Bunny. She actually sounds like she's saying "aggle flaggle klabble." She talks in fulls sentences and paragraphs like she is saying actual words and we all should understand.

No comments: